This event is sponsored by the IFLA Section on Acquisition and Collection Development, and co-sponsored by Serials and Other Continuing Resources. Collaborators include the Library Publishing Coalition and the host is the University of Michigan Library, a leader in the library publishing community.
A new role that libraries are playing with increasing success is in the dissemination of original scholarly and literary materials. Both public and academic libraries are becoming publishers for their communities. Over the last few years, the number of libraries with a commitment to publishing has grown substantially, with both academic and public libraries finding a strong demand for their services. The latest Library Publishing Directory profiles more than 115 libraries with active publishing programs, most in North America but an increasing number in other continents. A global community of library publishers is forming, and this meeting provides the ideal opportunity to meet with colleagues from around the world to identify common themes, brainstorm about shared challenges, and identify future opportunities for information exchange and collaboration.
The program will comprise three half-day sessions titled “Understanding the Vision,” “Implementing the Vision,” and “Sustaining and Growing the Vision.” Plenty of opportunities for discussion and networking will be provided. The call for proposals is now formally closed.
The program will start at 6:00 pm on Wednesday, August 10, with a welcome reception and dinner and will end at 2 pm on Friday, August 12, after a closing lunch. Ann Arbor is a 3.5 hours drive from Columbus and only 30 minutes away from Detroit International Airport (DTW), which has many direct domestic and international flights.
- Ann Okerson, Chair, IFLA Section on Acquisition and Collection Development
- Sharon Dyas-Correia, IFLA Section on Serials and Other Continuing Resources
- Maria Bonn, Senior Lecturer, Graduate School of Library and Information Scient, University of Illinois
- Sarah Lippincott, Program Director, Library Publishing Coalition
- Charles Watkinson, Associate University Librarian for Publishing, University of Michigan
- Rebecca Welzenbach, Director of Strategic Integration and Partnerships, Michigan Publishing